Yrs 5 - 18 | Boarding and Day
355 St Kilda Road,
Principal: Roy Kelley
Head of Boarding Contact Information
Name: Geoff Guggenheimer
Telephone: (03) 9865 7649
Number in School: 1140
Number of Boarders: 120
Boys have been boarding at Melbourne Grammar School since 1858. Our boarders enter a caring, inclusive environment that helps them thrive. Dedicated staff and a structured schedule assist our boarders to achieve their academic potential, build relationships, gain confidence and learn independence in preparation for their transition to tertiary study and adult life.
Life within the School’s boarding houses is like a home away from home. The boys occupy three houses located close to the city centre, overlooking Melbourne’s Royal Botanic Gardens. Creswick is the junior house for students in Years 7 and 8; and Perry House and School House are the senior houses for students in Years 9 to 12. Kitchenettes and shared recreation areas are available for boys to relax and socialise. Boarders also have access to the School’s sporting facilities.
The boarding houses are staffed by Heads of House and dedicated boarding assistants who look after our students’ day-to-day concerns. A team of qualified Health Centre staff is on hand 24–7 for any medical needs. During the week, specialist tutors in Mathematics, English, Chinese, Japanese, German & French visit the boarding houses after school or early evening to offer extra assistance. Boarding staff get to know the students well and keep in regular contact with boarders’ families about their sons’ academic, social and sporting progress.
• 1800 students from Prep to Year 12
• 120 boarders from Year 7 to Year 12
• Dedicated junior house for boys in Years 7 and 8, with three to four students per room
• Two senior houses for boys from Years 9 to 12, with single or double bed/study rooms
• Shared kitchenette, lounge and recreation areas for table tennis, pool and TV
• A team of experienced Heads of House, boarding assistants and nursing staff